You MUST set this up ASAP in order for it to have the minimum 8 weeks of good weather to grow prior to writing your paper on your column. Click here for the instructions.(feel free to google “Winogradsky Column” for additional information, this is a very common experiment to assign, but know that I run everything through TurnItIn.com , so online resources can help you setup your column and understand your results, but YOU MUST DO THE 8 WEEK LONG EXPERIMENT TO OBTAIN YOUR OWN DATA.
1. Wear gloves to collect soil sediment. Break up clumps and remove any large pieces of debris.
2. Add egg yolk and carbonate source to mud, and stir to mix.
3. Pour 2 – 3 cm of the mixture into the bottle. (If using a plastic water bottle you can cut off the top part and invert to use as a funnel.)
4. Add the cellulose or starch to the mud in the bottle and stir, mixing the cellulose into the mud mixture. If using paper, shred into small pieces 2 -4 cm in length. The slurry should be about the consistency of a milkshake. Use about 1 paper towel per cup of mud.
5. Continue to add more mud mixture 2 – 3 cm at a time. (Mud mixture only, no cellulose or starch here.) Tamp down with each addition of mud to remove trapped air. Try to eliminate any air pockets in the layered mud.
6. When about 5 cm from the top of the bottle, stop adding mud. (You should have a minimum of about 12 cm of mud in the column.)
7. Pour 2 – 3 cm of water over the mud.
8. Seal the top with the cap or plastic wrap to prevent loss of water.
9. Wash your hands.
10. Place the bottle near a light source. If possible, place about 60 cm (2 feet) from a continuously lit light source of 40 – 60 watts. (If you use an incandescent bulb, you want to be sure that the bottle doesn’t get too hot.)
· Alternatively, you can place near a brightly lit window (although growth of photosynthetic bacteria will be slower).
· Do not place in direct sunlight (again, to prevent overheating). However, if outside temperature is 70 o F or higher, you can place column outside in the shade. (The column will begin to stink after a week or so, so outside is good.) Be sure that the shade is a bright shade, as the bacteria in the column require light for photosynthesis.
Examine the column weekly for a minimum of eight weeks (ten weeks is better).
1. Take notes describing what you see each week and the changes that have occurred.
2. Take a picture each week so you have visual documentation of the changes.
1. Try to identify the type of bacteria growing in your bottle at the various regions using the references below.
2. After identifying the bacteria, draw a schematic of a column. Identify areas on the schematic of chemoheterotrophic and photoautotrophic growth, and areas of anaerobic and aerobic growth in your bottle.
3. Show on your schematic the cycling of carbon and sulfur in the ecosystem of your bottle, identifying the chemical compounds in which they are cycled.
Refer to your hypothesis and in light of your analysis, compose a conclusion that addresses your hypothesis. If you did not observe what you expected, identify possible reasons that explain why. Explain what you might have done wrong or would do differently if you were to repeat the experiment.
Submit your report
Your report should include:
2. The purpose
3. Your hypothesis
4. Methodology – a brief description of what you did in your own words (NOT a verbatim repeat of the instructions)
a. Your weekly notes
b. A summary of the changes that have occurred over the time period that you have observed the column
c. Photos – minimally, beginning and ending photos
a. Your identification of the types of bacteria growing at the various levels in your Winogradsky column
b. Your schematic diagram showing the ecological relationships in the bottle and the cycling of nutrients
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.